Everyday life in the United States
32 °F (Fahrenheit) = O °C (Centigrade)
212 °F = 100 °C
To convert °F into °C: substract 32 and multiply
To convert °C into °F: multiply by 1.8 and add 32.
American cooking has assimilated a lot of dishes imported by the immigrants:
– tacos (Mexican dish);
– Chinese food.
Hamburgers, pancakes (a thick crêpe they eat at breakfast) are American dishes however. Cookies and brownies are popular children's desserts.
You have several levels:
– nursery school (ages 3–4)
– kindergarten (4–6);
– elementary school, Junior (12–14);
– senior High School (14–18);
– and then, higher education (BA, MA and PhD).
In American English a "college" is an establishment of higher education (établissement d'enseignement supérieur).
The speed limit on a freeway (a motorway in Britain) is 55 m.p.h.
All the channels have commercial breaks that are frequent but short.
Only a few of them are national. The most read and known are The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal.
The Americans read more magazines than the English.
The sunday papers are heavy because they have fashion, sports, culture, and arts pages also. The Sunday New York Times weighs 6.35 kg!
– Martin Luther King's birthday: 3rd Monday in January.
– President's Day: 3rd Monday in February.
– Memorial Day: last Monday in May. It commemorates the dead of the wars.
– Independence Day: July 4th. It's the day when the Americans signed the Declaration of Independence.
– Labor Day: 1st Monday in September.
– Columbus Day: 2nd Monday in October. It commemorates the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus on October 12th, 1492.
– Halloween: October 31st.
– Veterans Day: November 11th. It commemorates the 1918 armistice.
– Thanksgiving Day: Last Thursday in November. It's in remembrance of the Pilgrim Fathers who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts, on the Mayflower in 1620. They survived a harsh winter and were able to eat what hey had planted for the first time. They got together and thanked God.
– Christmas Day: December 25th.
Fiches de cours les plus recherchées
Anglais, Français, Espagnol