Everyday life in Britain
British currency: one pound = £1 = 100 pence.
GB = Great Britain = England + Scotland + Wales.
The UK = The United Kingdom = GB + Ulster.
The British Isles = The UK + Eire.
English is the common
language, London is the
capital. The Union Jack is
the flag of the United Kingdom.
You can reach Great Britain by plane, by ferry, or by train and car with the tunnel.
The lunch is light and usually composed of a sandwich and a chocolate bar.
The main meal is at about six
– one course (plat): meat and various vegetables.
– speciality: the steak and kidney pie.
– sometimes a dessert: an apple pie or a pudding.
On many occasions during the day: a cup of tea with some biscuits. Crisps and sweets for children.
– Nursery school: until 5 years old.
– Primary school: from 5 to 11 years old.
– Secondary school: from 11 to 16 or 18.
There are three kinds of schools:
– public schools (fee paying), for the upper class;
– grammar schools (free or fee paying);
– comprehensive school (free).
The name of the class levels are different:
– 6e = 1st form;
– Terminale = upper sixth.
- GCSE: General certificate of secondary education, at 16.
- "A" Levels: Advanced levels, at 18. Passport to university.
- Degrees of University:BA/BSC (licence);
– Gardening: mowing the lawn, watering the flowers...
– Pets: many families have a dog or a cat.
– Sport: football, rugby, golf, tennis and cricket are the most popular.
– The pub: favourite meeting place with a pint of beer (stout, bitter or lager). Closing at 11. pm.
Popular papers: The Sun, The Daily Mirror, The Daily Mail...
Sunday papers: The Observer, The Sunday Times...
ITV and Channel four are among the numerous cable and private channels.
– St Valentine's Day: February 14th.
– Easter: March or April.
– April Fool's Day: April 1st.
– Trooping the Colours: 1st or 2nd Saturday of June to celebrate the Queen's birthday.
– Midsummer's Day: June 24th.
– August Bank Holiday: last Monday of August.
– Halloween: October 31st.
– Guy Fawkes' Day: November 5th.
– Christmas Day: December 25th.
Des profs en ligne
Fiches de cours les plus recherchées
Aidez votre enfant à réussir en mathématiques grâce à Maxicours
Des profs en ligne
Des ressources riches
Des outils ludiques
Des tableaux de bord